Below is our Local Special Education Needs and Disabilities (SEND) policy. Please click on the question you want to find out the answer.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further discussion with us.
How do we at smiles know if your child needs extra help?
• Here at Smiles we regularly observe assess and monitor all the children's needs, this informs our planning and highlights any additional needs that may arise ensuring all the children's needs are met.
• We use the 2 year old health check to highlight any additional needs.
• If you have any concerns or questions about your child you can speak to the manager, Senco or any other member of staff.
How will Smiles support children with SEND?
• Every child will have their own key person who will work with you and your child, they may also use targeted support or work in small groups.
• Children under 3 will have a play plan focused on their individual needs.
• We are able to call on local services of speech therapy and area Senco's who will assist with strategies that will support your child. You will be included in all visits and be constantly updated and informed.
• We have a trained Enco and Senco in place. We have completed the Inclusion Development Programme.
• All staff have completed the on line module 'Early years overview of SEND code of practice 2014.”
How will the curriculum be matched to my child's needs?
• Through observation and specific next steps the staff will be able to plan your child's progress .
• Each child has a learning journal which contains observations, photos and notes about your child which you are welcome to view and add to at any time.
How will everyone know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child at home?
• There are daily opportunities to speak to your child's key person,
• If you unable to make it to nursery you may make a telephone appointment to speak to to key person.
• Each child will have a school/home book for you to write comments in.
• Parents are consulted about and asked to sign Next steps termly
• Reports are sent out termly.
• We have an open door policy for parents to come in and chat.
What support will there be for my child's overall well being?
• At Smiles we promote positive behaviour, staff are trained to support this, we will work with you to provide a consistent approach.
• All children are included in all activities including all outings.
What specialist services are available or accessed by the setting?
• We have access to and work closely with health visitors, speech therapists, area Senco and children's centres.
What training and experience do your staff have?
• The majority of our staff are level 3 trained with some being level 4.
• We have two trained Encoʼs and staff trained as senco .
• All our staff have undergone safeguarding training.
• The majority also have first aid.
• Our staff have a lot of experience between them of children with additional needs.
• Our Senco attends various courses throughout the year to keep her Knowledge updated.
How accessible is your environment?
• We use a visual timetable for routines.We are able to access translation services when needed.
• We are a first floor premises, however we do have access to a lift.
How will Smiles prepare my child to join your setting and transfer to school?
• Smiles offer a very flexible entry system, children can enjoy settling session with or without parents or a combination of both.
• When your child is ready to transfer to school we will liaise with the school to arrange visits with key persons if needed.
• We will gather photos of the school playground, teachers etc. and make a scrap book from these for your child to familiarise themselves with.
• We will encourage teachers to visit the children at nursery.
How does Smiles organise its resources to adapt to children with SEND?
• All children have full access to all equipment.
• If we feel children need more support we can apply for funding for more 1:1 sessions.
How do we decide on appropriate support?
• Initially the manager/Senco will meet with you to discuss you and your child's needs,an
agreed plan will then be put in to place.
• We will use the graduated response. Assess,plan,Do and review.
• If your child needs further support ,with your consent we can refer to outside agencies.
How are parents/carers involved?
• We value and respect parents input on their children,parents/carers will be regularly included at all stages of any plans made.
• Parents can stay and play at any time or be a volunteer on an outing.
Who can I contact for more information?
Please contact Kim or Sam for more information.